Describe someone you know who has started a business.
You should say:
- Who this person is
- What work this person does
- Why this person decided to start a business
- And explain whether you would like to do the same kind of work as this person.
Sample answer Band value: 7+
Note: The sample answer below has been written by experts to keep minimum 7 band score in mind. However, the candidates overall performance play a significant role to get the final band score.
- I belong to a family of job holders. So, in my surrounding I normally do not find people who start or started a business.
- Businesses are more significant as far as the parameters of success are concerned. Businessmen earn more money as compared to the job holders together with more freedom to do what they feel are right or wrong.
- This is not the case when you do the job.
- Most of my relatives are job holders but I have many friends whose fathers are businessmen.
- Recently, one of my friend whose father is also a successful businessman, have started a business.
- We have been friends since childhood. He has always been a dreamer. He used to tell me about his various plans when we were in school.
- His father is in hotel business and he always wanted to be like him.
- However, he did not want to run his hotel traditionally.
- He was more interested in starting a hotel which was different than other conventional
- He has a dream to make hotel chain which will cover the entire nation in the span of 10 years.
- So, he started a pizza restaurant in one of the posh area of my home town.
- Many people suggested him to start by taking the franchise of any prominent pizza chains but as I have told you was a hard headed risk taking type guy like Elon Musk .
- So, he has started his own franchise with his own brand name of pizza restaurant.
- As most of the businesses faced, he has faced so many difficulties in the beginning.
- However, with dedicated and tenacious nature he has overcome all the hurdles and become a successful person in a very short time.
- By seeing his success I have also thought of the same start up.
- I have asked him for his guidance and help which he agreed to give.
- I reckon it would be a good business for me too.
Band 7+ words in above speaking sample
Parameters: Specifications, Criteria
Hard headed: Practical, Realistic
Tenacious: Firm, Strong
Sample answer 2: Band value: Not more than 6 bands.
Note: This is the sample written by the student. By reading it, we can understand it cannot be given more than 6 band score. The discussion on this sample has been given at the end of the sample answer.
- Every human has different interest and expertise.
- But it can be seen in family members where some members run a business.
- I got to know about a family business when I went to the famous place of my home town.
- I was very impressed with the collection
- On the next day when I was praising bamroh collection to the sky. My friend was amazed by hearing that name.
- She told me that it was his grandfather’s business.
- Her grandfather set up this shop to establish where he used to sell ready made clothes.
- When my friend’s father and uncle came to an age they also joined the business.
- When my friend’s father got married his mother has shown the interest In joining the business too.
- As she was interested and studied fashion designing it worked as a cherry on a cake.
- They started their own unique design in clothing which was loved by everyone.
- Moreover, their business has become so renowned. Nowadays they are considering to employ more man power.
- As they sell clothes of all age group, their customer base is huge.
- But collection for toddler and teenage I like the most.
- Apart from that my friend is also thinking to spread the business through internet.
- She is planning to promote their business through social media like face book and Instagram.
- Sometime I wonder how three generation works together in the business.
- No doubt they must be very co operative and understanding.
Why this topic cannot be given more than 6 band score?
The topic has not covered the basic idea of the question. That is why it can be considered out of the topic. Task achievement is significant for getting the band score. Task achievement contains two things. The first one is you should be able to speak for minimum 1 minute and the second is basic idea of the topic should be covered.
The topic here is ‘describe someone who has started a new business.’ However, the candidate describes the family business in which she has given the information about so many people.
Always keep in mind that writing or speaking out of the topic costs you your band even if your grammar and vocabulary is higher.
Part 3 questions of ‘describe someone who has started a new business.
Q- 1: What do the people in your country prefer to do in general as a career, a job or a business?
Q-2: What do you prefer to do as a career, a job or a business?
Q-3: What kind of difficulties people face when they start businesses?
Q-4: What are the advantages of running a business?
Q-5: What are the disadvantages of running a business?
Q-6: What are the advantages of doing a job?
Q-7: What are the advantages of doing a job?
Q-8: who is best at advising young people about choosing a career: teachers or parents?
Q-9: is money always the most important thing when choosing a job?
Q-10: do you agree that many people nowadays are under pressure to work longer and take less holiday?