Describe an interesting historic place.
You should say:
- what it is
- where it is located
- what you can see there now
- And explain why this place is interesting.
Sample answer Band value: 7+
- It is a saying that knowing about history prepares you for the future.
- I have heard this from my grandfather.
- My grandfather used to take me with him for visiting different places.
- And by this, I have become interested in visiting different places.
- With him, I have seen so many historical places such as Tajmahal, one of the seven wonders, the famous “Hava Mahal” in Jaipur, Fateh Gadh place’ in Udaipur and ‘Ranki Vav’ in Patan.
- Among these wonderful places I like, Ranki Vav, the most.
- I have visited this place several times. yet, I did not get bored. on the contrary, I have become more and more intrigued by the work of architecture devoted to it.
- ‘Ranki vav’ is in Patan -a city in the northern part of Gujarat which is itself a historical city.
- ‘Ranki vav’ is basically a stepwell which was built by the queen of Patan in the 11th century in the memory of her husband.
- As it is built by the queen it was given a name Ranki vav-
- ‘Ranki’ means queen and ‘vav’ means step well.
For more speaking cue cards sample answer Click here
- The stepwell is an amalgamation of architectural design, ancient wisdom, and devotion to Hindu culture.
- The steps start with the ground level going down into the well where water is collected.
- This is surrounded by pavilions by which one can see the scenery and view of it.
- It consists of more than 800 mythological sculptures.
- These sculptures mainly depict the Indian god named ‘Vishnu’ and his different reincarnation.
- It has also got some sculpture of ‘Apsara’ – a divine beauty in Hindu culture.
- These sculptures show the makeup of ‘Apsara’ in 16 different styles.
- According to mythological books of Indian culture, The Apsaras are fictional divine beauty who possess enthralling charm.
- The Ranki vav has got far more conspicuous importance than just being the religious symbol.
- In older times there used to be a scarcity of water in this part. In such a situation this sort of stepwell was the modal of collecting water. However, ‘The Ranki vav’ is not merely the example well for collecting water. It is actually a symbol of worship to the culture of Hindu together with great architectural design.
- This is the reason why this stepwell has been added to UNESCO’s world heritage site.
Note: The sample answer above has been written by experts to keep a minimum of 7 band score in mind. However, the candidate’s overall performance plays a significant role to get the final band score.